Property ID : NLEN005003
Exclusive, For Sale €1.325.000 agency fees included - Prestige
This medieval château is a fortified castle built in 1340 at the beginning of the Hundred Years War between England and France. The inside buildings are from the early 17th century Renaissance style. The current owners have completed a “top to tail” restoration of the property with exceptional attention to detail and today this comfortable home provides ample accommodation for family and visiting guests (paying or otherwise). The views from the ramparts and sun deck surrounding the pool are breath-taking and with easy access to the popular destinations of the Loire Valley this fantastic property offers a luxurious life style in a period chateau. Offered today exclusively for sale through us and available with all fixtures and furnishings (with the exception of personal items).
The main towers and ramparts date from 1340 and are surrounded by a dry moat and enclose the inner courtyard gardens and main buildings which are from the early XVII century constructed in the Italian Renaissance style. The chateau has been extensively modernised and today offers nearly 450m² of living space with 10 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms (and a 9th wc accessed from the courtyard). In the main wing we have the large lounge with open XV fireplace and direct access to the inner courtyard garden, the walls are exposed natural stone and the floor is tiled, this room has a lovely light and airy feel to it with plenty of natural light reflected on the light coloured stone walls and tiles accentuating the oak beams supporting the ceiling and upper floors. The former kitchen, today used as a dining room, continues the traditional colours and theme with another large fireplace dominating the far wall. The current kitchen is well appointed providing workspace and storage …. if a larger kitchen is required the suggestion would be to reinstate it in the dining hall/original kitchen keeping the current kitchen as a second work-space. Continuing the ground floor and on the other side of the main lounge we have two double bedrooms one with ensuite shower room and separate wc and the other with a walk-in wet room with shower and wc, both bedrooms have individual access directly to the inner courtyard. Two sets of stairs lead to the 1st floor in this wing. Here we discover another double bedroom with mezzanine reading area and ensuite shower room. Above the main lounge, 1 of the double bedrooms and dining hall we have a large (60m²+) reception room with “herring bone” oak floor, exposed stone walls and feature oak roof supports … this has been used for events and diners and has numerous possibilities (a large master bedroom and 2nd lounge perhaps). A functional study or anti-chamber to the reception room completes this side of the residence. Stone stairs lead up to the turret and roof access or down to the ground floor.
The second part of this chateau has been used to provide independent guest accommodation and offers two separate 2 bedroom self-contained apartments with private access to the pool area as well as 3 further individual guest rooms with individual ensuite facilities. There are workshops, boiler room, turrets and stores, etc. all within the main buildings and then further storage in the cave dwellings cut into the rock in the side of the dry moat. The total plot measures 7600m² and includes a separate park/orchard. On the ramparts and ideally positioned to catch the sun and enjoy the views is the heated swimming pool (usually 28-29 degrees C) and sun deck. Surrounding the fortified ramparts within the dry moat is a whole “village” of dwellings cut into the rock itself … some of these date back to 800AD
Mains drainage, mains water and electricity. New wood pellet central heating system and “hidden” solar panel heating for hot water (thus providing a carbon footprint of near zero for the property) and if that wasn’t enough during this summer the installation of fibre broadband has been completed in the village now offering fast internet connection (up to 18Mbis/sec)..
Located in the heart of a Loire Valley village of circa 200 inhabitants consisting of a cluster of farms around the church and the chateau, equidistant from Chinon and Saumur and a short drive to Loudun this property has very good access to local amenities and nearby market towns.
Over 1000 years ago there was a fortified chateau on this site and today we have documented history of the chateau passing through various noble owners (and those less noble) from 1340 onwards … for lovers of history this is a truly rare property.